Come Visit With Us
These are some of the more common questions we get asked, if yours
isn't here please ask.
- Q) HOW LONG HAS THERE BEEN A COMMODORE PRESENCE ON DELPHI?
- A) "Micro Artists Network for Interactive Computers,"
MANIAC, was a bold and, by some, deemed crazy experiment, run
primarily on the C64, the most advanced computer of its day.
It's among the oldest groups on any service and was the first open
for business on Delphi. Founded almost at the same date as Delphi
itself, it's been the core and heart of the system since. That same
early adventurous spirit, combined with a healthy sense of the
absurd, still pervades the Commodore Forum.
Many of the expressions heard now all over Delphi were originated in
the atmosphere of warmth and friendliness in the C=ommodore area.
Such terms as "fuzzies", otherwise knows as the spirits of
the oracle, grow happily in the fertile ground of our forum and
ComCom is one of the reasons Delphi has the reputation of being a
warm place, with helpful people, instead of the cold, impersonal
jungles that some services can be. We won't mention names...or
You don't have to own a Commodore to visit and join in the
conversations which range from ANIMALS (our pets) to FOOD (we even
have an in house chef) to ZIP (some sort of techie term-grin).
ComCom's warmth permeates all of Delphi. Visit us and discover why.
- Q) ARE THERE ANY NEW PROGRAMS AVAILABLE FOR THE COMMODORES?
HAVEN'T ALL THE PROGRAMMERS MOVED ON TO THE PC MACHINES?
- A) Not really, there are many new and exciting programs coming
out. Right now GEOS is being rewritten to accommodate the 20 mhz
accelerator. There is also a project going on to create a graphic
web browser for the C128.
- Q) HOW ABOUT THE CLASSIC PD PROGRAMS AND GRAPHICS? DOES DELPHI
HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THAT AVAILABLE?
- A) Our database is loaded with all kinds of Graphics, Music,
Utilities, and Telecom programs. We have the most extensive base of
Alpha-Numeric art online anywhere. (ASCII ART).
- Q) HOW ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH MY COMPUTER? IT'S GETTING PRETTY OLD.
- A) If you have any problems we have staff to answer your
questions. Leave messages in the FORUM and we'll do our best to
respond. As on any system, if we don't have the answers, another
member will be glad to help you.
- Q) ISN'T THE COMMODORE PRETTY MUCH AN OBSOLETE MACHINE? HOW CAN IT
POSSIBLY BE COMPARED TO THE POWERFUL COMPUTERS OF TODAY--IN OTHER
WORDS, WHAT GOOD IS IT?
- A) A C64 today can run at 20mhz, use a 28.8 or better modem, fax
things at 14.4, do desk-top publishing, run with 16 megs of RAM, and
any size hard drive you desire, up to 7 gigs. There are developments
coming out so fast it's hard to keep up with them. The Accelerator
uses its own RAM, up to 16 megs. So I could have 16 megs of RAM on
the accelerator, and 16 megs in a RAM Link--loading programs from a
RAM Link to run in RAM at 20 mhz on a C64 or 64C is a fantastic
concept. I can also use external floppy drives that use the HD 3
- Q) IS THIS REAL, OR JUST EXPENSIVE DREAMS?
- A) These are not dreams, these are real, and most of the devices
are also usable on the C128 (except the accelerator.) For the
future, look to an Accelerator for the C128 (also with 16 megs of
RAM) a Web Browser (graphic) a rewritten GEOS 128/64, and possibly a
vga or svga controller card for the 80 column mode.
- Q) SO THEN THE COMMODORE IS STILL ALIVE AND GROWING?
- A) Yes, the future looks bright and shiny in the land of
Commodore, "The Computer That Will Not Die." All these
things (and more!) will be covered and reviewed here, the one place
to be, The Commodore Community Forum on Delphi. "It's FUN in
- Q) HOW ABOUT CHATS AND STUFF? I'D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO TALK TO OTHER
PEOPLE--CAN WE DO THAT ON AN OLD COMMODORE?
- A) The more recent term programs, such as Dialogue, Desterm, and
Nova Term, all have the standard split screen and can run in VT
emulation modes. So the Commodore can also be used for IRC's.
- Q) HOW ABOUT HERE? ARE THERE REGULAR CONFERENCES FOR THE COMMODORE
- A) Evenings from 9:30PM to 11:00 PM M,W,& F
and Saturday at noon.
The Welcome Mat is always out,
The coffee is brewing..."Come On In! It's FUN In Here!"
|Usually there is someone around to answer questions, or just talk. Come
visit with us. Get assistance with technical problems,
meet old friends or just get acquainted.
So, we hope this little "FAQ" sheet helps you with your
questions--if you have further questions, want information, or just
generally want to talk, you will find us in the Commodore Forum.
Delphi Web Memberships are
Get Assistance With Technical Problems, Meet Old Friends or
Just Get Acquainted
Back To Commodore Front Page